Chimmony Wild Life Sanctuary, Thrissur

Chimmony is in the Thrissur district, a perfect place for a day trip from Kochi. I am keeping my trips short these days, mostly as a weekend getaway. But I really long for more. It's just that time and place is not coming right.


The route to Chimmony itself is beauty. Yeah, wild life sanctuaries are like that, winding through the forests. Enroute, there are also many small and big streams and some good spots to admire the beauty of the Western Ghats. 

The end point is the dam and its reservoir. I like walking through the long long dam walkway (I don’t know if it is called so), enjoying the water that is stored and the beauty of the surroundings. Do you?

Chimmony has my many firsts I would say. For the first time, I saw wild elephants. Yaay!! You can’t imagine my excitement. I have been to Munnar and Thekkadi lot of times, have visited Athirappally valpara route also and never ever have I seen one and here it is, in the least expected place. It was a big herd, almost 14 to 16 including two calves.

And I also saw the great Indian hornbill, again for the first time. Though not a close look I am happy. I could never even think of sighting it here.

Chimmony has the kotta vanchi (as it is called here – is actually the Coracle boat), which I thoroughly enjoyed. One can accommodate about 4 people along with the oarsman. Ours was a very awesome guy, talked about the forest, how they spot elephants almost every day, how they identify the presence of wild animals (smell is a key and other birds and small animals signal when biggies like elephants are near), and so much more. He also talked about a package tour that they offer, but currently on hold because of Corona. It includes a stay, trek and the kotta vanchi ride. I don’t exactly remember the cost he told me. But if you are planning something, you can check it with the information centre via phone.

How to reach

We went in our private vehicle and google map is helpful. I did not find any public buses enroute and so not sure if we have a direct bus. There is also an entry fee. And extra charges for Kotta vanchi (400/- per vanchi) and trekking.

Best time to visit

Whenever you want to. But November to April is the most preferred. Also, don’t wait for evenings. It gets too crowded by then. Try getting there by 11 11.30 in the morning and take lunch with you as there are no restaurants except for a small cafe that can offer you tea and coffee.

Photos

 


 

 

 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 







Comments